Liberate Life Forums

Culture - Printable Version

+- Liberate Life Forums (http://forum.liberatelife.com)
+-- Forum: Paradigm Assessment (http://forum.liberatelife.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: The Culture Cult (http://forum.liberatelife.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Culture (/showthread.php?tid=48)

Culture - dev - 02-05-2016

Culture is a very dominant paradigm. It covers everything from family structure, traditional rituals, unwritten laws, language and views on moral, life and death. 

Each of these could be a paradigm of its own, but really they are all just part of the paradigm of our culture. 

Cool

RE: Culture - Cupid - 05-05-2016

My questions, how do we break free from such paradigm control in culture, if we would even want to? Can we truly be free when culture is so ingrained in each of us? Why do the differences in culture spur such negatives, when they could equally spur such positives.

Personally I have things about my own culture I don't like. I have experienced a couple of other human cultures with things I like in them, and things I don't. Could we be programmed into culture before we take our first breath? If not, why can't I simply know another culture and its communication medium of language?

Would a one planet culture be something considered utopic? Personally I love the mix of cultures on this planet. But is it all just created for experience? We are here for but a very short time, and how many cultures have we experienced and forgotten through the lives we have lived? Why the need to forget or have the memory stripped from us anyway?

RE: Culture - dev - 05-05-2016

Terence McKenna has the answer:

Quote:“We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.”

Cool

RE: Culture - Cupid - 05-05-2016

To me it would be interesting if we could strip 'culture' away, be left with the barebones human, any skin colour, then start creating for ourselves. Would we still end up with the same power plays and domination over the species? Imagine a clean Earth, and a bunch of us dropped here in one group, would we still splinter and act like a virus to the host planet?

No TV, no radio, no magazines here! Just the internet of all mighty wisdom, or not Tongue

RE: Culture - Raidho - 11-05-2016

Great quote.

RE: Culture - dev - 11-05-2016

(11-05-2016, 10:14 PM)Raidho wrote: Great quote.
Yes I like that.

Recently wrote this myself in work in progress: Whatever I feed my mind I ultimately excrete from my mind.

Cool

RE: Culture - Andro - 11-05-2016

(11-05-2016, 11:27 PM)dev wrote: Whatever I feed my mind I ultimately excrete from my mind.
Which brings me to another quote - by me Smile

"All culture ultimately boils down to devouring and defecation."

RE: Culture - Raidho - 09-08-2017

(11-05-2016, 11:33 PM)Andro wrote: Which brings me to another quote - by me Smile

"All culture ultimately boils down to devouring and defecation."

That's why it has to be recreated constantly.